Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Get SMART

I had never heard of interactive whiteboards before, but they sound very useful. These boards combine a traditional chalkboard with computer projection technology. Information on the whiteboard can be viewed and modified with the touch of a finger. Thus, the tool reminds me of a giant touch screen computer. The whiteboards seem to improve the engagement level from all students in the class because students can easily move images, write words, and more. With only the projection of a computer screen onto a board, students generally have to tell the teacher what to do, and the teacher then actually makes the changes on a computer. I am unsure how much these boards cost, but I believe schools could greatly benefit from having these interactive whiteboards. To find out how a school district in Chicago makes use of the SMART board, go to this site: SMART Technologies Case Study. Also, check out the video below, which shows one of these whiteboards being used for instruction.

No comments: